Since September 2016 I work as assistant professor of computer science at Palestine Polytechnic University (Hebron, Palestine).
Previously, I worked as R&D employee at the TU Darmstadt (Darmstadt, Germany) and flexOptix GmbH (Dietzenbach, Germany) for 17 months (till August 2016). Before that, I worked as research assistant at TU Darmstadt for four years, and as lecturer and technical assistant at Palestine Polytechnic University for about 5.5 years in total.
I obtained a PhD degree in computer science from TU Darmstadt in 2015, specialized in measurements, performance, and security of large-scale distributed systems, under supervision of Prof. Dr. Thorsten Strufe. Before that, I obtained a Master of Science degree in Internetworking from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Sweden and a Bachelor degree in Computer Systems Engineering from Palestine Polytechnic University.
I acted as reviewer / TPC member for: SIOT 2017, IEEE IC2E 2017, CCC 2016, ACNS 2016, LCN 2015, CNS 2014, COMCOM 2014, WWW 2013, HotPost 2013, WoWMoM 2013, Advances in Computer Communications and Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
My current research interests lie in the areas of large scale (dynamic) distributed systems and future Internet architectures with emphasis on their performance, security, and monitoring (with privacy preservation).
College of Information Technology and Computer Engineering
Palestine Polytechnic University
Wad El Harya Campus, P.O. Box 198
Telefax: +972 (0) 22233050
Email: hani (at) ppu (dot) edu
Teaching (2016 / 2017)
- Cloud computing (graduate, undergraduate)
- Network programming (undergraduate)
- Computer programming (undergraduate)
- Computer networks (undergraduate)
- Methods of scientific research (undergraduate)
- Full PhD scholarship: DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), 2010 - 2015
- Best student paper award: 19th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), 2014, Madeira, Portugal.
Selected publications (in chronological order)
- H. Salah, M. Fatafta, S. SayyedAhmed, T. Strufe: CoMon++: Mitigating Cache Pollution Attacks in NDN Effectively and Efficiently, in IEEE LCN 2017, Singapore.
- T. Paul, N. Lochschmidt, H. Salah, A. Datta, and T. Strufe: Lilliput: A Storage Service for Lightweight Peer-to-Peer Online Social Networks, in IEEE ICCCN 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
- H. Salah and T. Strufe: Evaluating and Mitigating a Collusive Version of the Interest Flooding Attack in NDN, in IEEE ISCC 2016, Messina, Italy.
- S. Roos, H. Salah, and T. Strufe: On the Routing of Kademlia-type Systems, book chapter in "Advances in Computer Communications and Networks", 2016.
- H. Salah, Measuring, Understanding, and Improving Content Distribution Technologies, PhD Dissertation, TU Darmstadt, November 2015, Darmstadt, Germany.
- H. Salah, J. Wulfheide, and T. Strufe: Coordination Supports Security: A New Defence Mechanism Against Interest Flooding in NDN, in IEEE LCN 2015, Clearwater - Florida, USA.
- S. Roos, H. Salah, and T. Strufe: Determining the Hop Count in Kademlia-type Systems, in IEEE ICCCN 2015, Las Vegas - Nevada, USA.
- H. Salah, J. Wulfheide, and T. Strufe: Lightweight Coordinated Defence Against Interest Flooding Attacks in NDN (poster paper), in IEEE INFOCOM 2015, Hong Kong.
- H. Salah and T. Strufe: CoMon: An Architecture for Coordinated Caching and Cache-Aware Routing in CCN, in IEEE CCNC 2015, Las Vegas - Nevada, USA.
- T. Paul, S. Stephen, H. Salah, and T. Strufe, The Students’ Portal of Ilmenau: A Holistic OSN’s User Behaviour Model, in PICCIT 2015, Hebron, Palestine.
- H. Salah, S. Roos, and T. Strufe: Diversity Entails Improvement: A New Neighbour Selection Scheme for Kademlia-type Systems, in IEEE P2P 2014, London, UK.
- H. Salah, S. Roos, and T. Strufe: Characterizing Graph-Theoretic Properties of a Large-Scale DHT: Measurements vs. Simulations, in IEEE ISCC 2014, Madeira, Portugal. (Best Student Paper Award)
- H. Salah, B. Schiller, and T. Strufe: CoMon: A System Architecture for Improving Caching in CCN (poster paper), in IEEE INFOCOM 2014, Toronto, Canada.
- H. Salah, S. Roos, T. Strufe: A Lightweight Approach for Improving the Lookup Performance in Kademlia-type Systems (technical report), 2014.
- H. Salah and T. Strufe: Capturing Connectivity Graphs of a Large-Scale P2P Overlay Network, in IEEE ICDCS's HotPOST 2013, Philadelphia, USA.
- D. Carra, P. Michiardi, H. Salah, and T. Strufe: On the Impact of Incentives in eMule - Analysis and Measurements of a Popular File-Sharing Application, in IEEE JSAC 2013. (Impact factor: 4.138)
- S. Roos, H. Salah, T. Strufe: Comprehending Kademlia Routing: A Theoritical Framework for the Hop Count Distribution (technical report), 2013.